Kitchen Design Styles
We believe a custom kitchen should be just that — designed especially for your home, your lifestyle and the things that bring you joy. That said, it can be useful to see how various design elements can compliment one another and add up to a cohesive look.
We’ve broken down some successful kitchen design styles and identified the elements or features that contribute to an aesthetic. If you respond to a particular set of images, you could maybe borrow some features as part of the mix that makes it your own.
Do you want your kitchen to feel at home in your period home or villa?
Do you want a homely kitchen that still feels current and contemporary?
Some Contemporary/Traditional features:
- Panelled or tongue-and-groove cupboard fronts
- Colour as a feature, even if soft and subdued
- Mouldings and other trim details, even if simplified
- Lighting that is a new version of an old style
- Handle hardware that is inspired by tradition such as knobs and curved drawer pulls
Do you like a clear, clean look and have an open plan space with clear available walls to play with?
Do you like things to be organised and feel tidy and under control?
Some Modern/Minimalist features:
- Blocky layout, tightly planned with horizontal and vertical alignment of elements
- Rectangular blocks of materials and symmetry
- Simple, refined palette of materials and neutral colours
- Flat cupboard fronts, often handleless or with minimal handles
- Sleek lighting
Do you like a relaxed vibe and feeling connected to the outdoors?
Do you like an open airy space with texture?
Some Coastal features:
- Open, airy layout
- Bring the outdoors in, directly with doors, skylights and windows and indirectly with plants or natural textures
- Light toned timber
- Organic texture and woven elements
- Blues, soft watery hues and fresh greenery
Image credits for kitchen design styles images:
- Brooklyn Villa by https://honourcreative.com – photography by http://www.joelliottphotography.co.nz
- MGD x Newport Coast: Californian Modern Remodel by https://mindygayer.com/project/newport-coast/
- by http://caitlincreerinteriors.com
- by https://entrancemakleri.se/hem-till-salu/objekt/1113583/alla-bilder/
- Modern Mountain Home by https://www.lindsayhillinteriors.com/creating-warm-inviting-kitchen/#more-5615
- by https://www.nordiskakok.se/in-frame-kitchens
- Merricks Guest House by https://www.studioesteta.com.au/work/merricks-guest-house
- Victorian Apartments by https://www.flowermichelin.com/victorian-apartments
- Davisville Road by http://www.aljawadpike.com/projects/015-davisville-road
- woning te Aalst by https://www.objektarchitecten.be/nl/project/woning-te-aalst/interieur photography by – Bert Vereecke & Apartment in St Petersburg by https://artstudiodesign.ru
- Humankind by https://honourcreative.com
- Toraak Residence by https://linkin.bio/heckerguthrie – photography by Shannon McGrath & by https://www.ballingslov.se/koek/koeksinspiration/fenix-beige
- Rad Trad by https://www.railicadesign.com
- Toowoon Bay Reno Studio Kitchen by https://www.kyalandkara.com/gallery/toowoon-bay-reno-studio-kitchen/
- by https://www.threebirdsrenovations.com
- Long Jetty by https://www.kyalandkara.com
- by www.kbhsnedkeri.dk – photography by Gert Skærlund Andersen